Thursday, May 7, 2009

Where is today's Popeye?

I had dinner at Whole Foods last night (sort of had dinner, my 3 year old son spent most of the time playing with a bottle of hot sauce while on my lap, so my eating was a bit...distracted) with a fellow who is biking from Key West to somewhere in Canada. It's one of many trips he has undertaken over the years to raise awareness for various health issues including nutrition. He's quite fascinating (so says my wife who managed to have a more elaborate conversation with him) and I think his effort is pretty amazing. (If you're interested http://www.cycleforheart.org/)

He and I had a brief, conversation about engaging young kids (my 8-year old daughter and her friend were also with us) about nutrition without having them topple over from boredom. He tried talking with them about Popeye, but I don't think he, Popeye, has the same impact or following as he did in his heyday.

I mentioned an episode of "Gilligan's Island" where a box of irradiated seeds washed up on the shore. All the castaways planted their favorite item and were granted incredible powers. Mrs. Howell ate spinach and gained strength, super vision for Mary Ann (don't quote me on that) who ate carrots, and so on. That also seems a pretty dated (and misleading) example.

So, today, what or who do we have to give our kids some sort of example that they can relate to so they understand why one should eat more than waffles, cheerios and pancakes for breakfast (today's breakfast for the 8-year old)? I'm not sure if a celebrity or athlete endorsing proper nutrition is ideal. Heck, the Obamas start an organic garden and it somehow gets spun as an elitist act.

I'm all for keeping meals as meals, not teachable moments or nutritional lectures and certainly not becoming some sort of military exercise (eat your peas! hut two hut two!). So, I settle for trotting out new things and convincing my daughter to stop saying "That's DIS-GUST-ING" for the more tolerable "I like it, but I don't want anymore right now."

I'm curious what your solutions are on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment